-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jo Bourne
Sent: Saturday, 4 February 2006 11:34 AM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Post cs support

Talking therapies may be the only "cure", that certainly sounds right to
me. However I can't imagine having been raped, assaulted OR traumatised
by my birth experience and then wanting to do that talking in the place
or with the people where it happened. Perhaps in the last stages of
healing, as a final letting go/closure thing, but certainly not in the
very first days of the shock. I did not have a remotely traumatic birth
experience but have had other traumas in my life and have had a lot of
talking to do about them, I can't think of one occasion I wanted to go
back to the person/place that was the source of the trauma.

At 11:19 AM +1100 4/2/06, Janet Fraser wrote:
>I remember it but I disagree with it entirely. It struck me as no more
>logical and useful than the obstetric refusal to offer OFP because a
>study showing a crude, almost silly form of it didn't have the desired
>effect. (10mins a day on hands and knees rather than the lifestyle
>operation that is true OFP) Talking therapies are pretty much the only
>"cure" for PTSD and that's been well demonstrated over and over. The
>one study showing otherwise holds no weight. J

the research did not show that this debriefing had particularly helpful
outcomes.  Of course it is all in the Who, the When and the How.  Does
anyone remember it?  Mary Murphy

>Andrea wrote:
>Any suggestions. Should all women have a follow up appointment with the

>midwife who was at her birth, is this appropriate as they may have been
part of the problem, should all women have a follow up appointment but
the woman be allowed to choose who she wants the appointment with, at
what stage would this be appropriate, 2 weeks, 8 weeks 3 months? How
does this fit with the M&CH nurses who are now involved in the woman's
on going care? How does her doctor, be it her own GP, obst or the one
who attended (or not) her birth  be involved in this?

--
Jo Bourne
Virtual Artists Pty Ltd