Thank you everyone for your replies-it seems there is quite a difference from prison to prison and probably state to state too.

From what I read the US has mandatory shackles (even during labor and following epidural) regardless of prisoner status or crime. Some states even have mandatory fostering out of babies following birth.  I know it is a bit tougher there…I’m relieved to hear some of the stories posted about Australian women.

Lisa, I am from Perth too, could you keep me posted about your progress with Bandyup prison.  I am very interested in what happens there with you guys.  Are you getting some guidance about how to get it up and running from the UK birth companions?

Amy

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Anne Clarke
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:34 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] prison birthing

Dear Amy,

I looked after a woman that was a prisoner postnatally and she was dropped off in labour by prison officers (obviously low risk,) as they did not stay but visited her everyday, however, the mother signed herself out to go back to prison as she gave birth in the middle of January and in the old RWH hospital postnatal ward did not have air conditioning and she had to share a ward with 3 other women.  She said that she had her own room, it was air conditioned and they had better food!  The prison had facilities that women could keep their babies with them.

Regards
Anne Clarke
Queensland