Hello Lyle
There's a great opportunity not to be missed here.
Invite this guy to come up to your hospital to talk to the midwives and mothers about how he intends to improve the maternity services in his electorate. Is he going to put pressure on Mr Hazistergos to endorse more one-to-one models of midwifery care in your area!(If the midwives are up to it, that is.) Also you could suggest to him that he put pressure on the AHS Board to appoint the home birth midwives in your area as visiting midwives and assist them with insurance.

Until this politician understands that the women in your area need to have a primary care midwife provide one-to-one care during their pregnancies, labours and births (instead of so called "shared care" options)
then he doesn't have much to boast about to the women does he? How do your birth outcomes compare with elsewhere in the state? Are there women in your hospital that are less than happy with the maternity services? Would they and the midwives want to see a positive change? Do you have many midwives in your hospital who belong to the Maternity Coalition? Have they read the Mat. Coalition's National Action Plan for Maternity Services? Talk to the local women before you invite this politician up to your hospital - perhaps to speak to the midwives first.

Be interesting to see if he puts your suggestion in the "too hard" basket but if he doesn't support "world's best practice" then he doesn't get to speak to the women - it's as simple as that.
Jan

Jan Robinson Independent Midwife Practitioner
National Coordinator Australian Society of Independent Midwives
8 Robin Crescent South Hurstville NSW 2221 Phone/Fax: 02 9546 4350
e-mail address: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> website: www.midwiferyeducation.com.au