To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 2:55 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] VBACs, Gestational diabetes and insulin

I would appreciate comments from midwives and women who have dealt with or
been through pregnancies involving gestational diabetes, insulin dependence (for gestational only) and VBACs. I am 28 weeks into my second pregnancy, on insulin and hoping for a VBAC. My obstetrician has told me that he wants to
do a repeat Caesar at 38 weeks because he was concerned about placental
failure. I felt that this was a bit premature and may have been more what
suited him than what was best for me, especially 10 weeks out.
What is the current thinking on VBACs, gestational diabetes, and placental
failure due to insulin?

Is it safe to continue the pregnancy, with monitoring beyond 38 weeks? Is
induction a viable alternative at 38 weeks considering it will be a VBAC
attempt?

I would like to attempt a VBAC, but not at the cost of my baby's health.
Any information or comments that can be
offered to help my husband and I to make a decision would be appreciated.
Comments from women who have been in this situation would also be
appreciated. As it is ultimately my decision and my responsibility I want to
make the best informed decision I can for both myself and our baby.

Thank you

Mindy