Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 11:50 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] A first for me

Today I had my first waterbirth. It was so beautiful. All 4.8kg of him manipulated his way out all by himself. Mum was able to describe his movements to us in a running commentary even down to telling us that the shoulders were rotating after his head was born.

tears in Dads ( and the midwives) eyes and complete awe on the face of his 3 year old big sister ( who offered to put the slide into the pool for mum). its such a buzz attending births like this.

Planned second midwife was away and so we invited one who had not attended a homebirth ( or waterbirth) before and she is herself pregnant so I can only hope she was inspired to great things for herself.

I was glad that we had discussed water birth at length in Maggie Banks workshop last week because I was not surprised when this baby was so peaceful in the water that we actually had to remind him that he needed to join those of us who breathe air. he just lay there in his Mums arms looking around and didnt seem to get that idea for a while.

Addicted to birth

Andrea Q