Title: Message

Hi Amy, re the syntocinon.  This can be controlled by turning up or down the delivery rate on the IVAC, so isn’t really the problem with hyperstimulation.  The Ptostin gel is put on the cervix and once there and absorbed cannot be controlled easily.  So, it is the Gel that is the problem.  The artificial rupture of membranes is not a problem for hyperstimulation but is always done for safety reasons when using Syntocinon infusion.  As you know, this is not my area of expertise, so can only read the research. Thinking of you at this difficult time, Love Mary Murphy

From: owner-ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au [mailto:owner-ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au] On Behalf Of adamnamy
Sent: Saturday, 4 March 2006 8:32 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: [ozmidwifery] on the subject of induction

Just seeking some advice from midwives out there-I know I will most likely forget to ask all of these when I go to the antenatal clinic or have my next midwife visit

I am 35+something weeks and have started to show signs of cholestasis over the past few weeks.  Blood results are fluctuating a bit they go high and the next one is about normal and then high again.  I am preparing for the eventuality of an induced hospital birth (though still hoping to go into labor at home in the 36th week) Some part of me wants to be induced now so I don’t have to deal with the stress of that stillbirth stat.  anyway…

Can someone tell me?

1) Is it the syntocin in the IV that poses the greatest threat to me/we in terms of “uterine hyper stimulation” and fetal distress or can the prostaglandin gel and ARM cause that too?

2) Is the “failed induction-requiring C/s” rate really around 50%?

Is there anything that I can do to minimize that risk if I am induced? Like staying up, walking around, asking to be left alone, requesting minimal monitoring –that sort of stuff.  And will they let me do that at a large teaching hosp? (I have the dream of asking to be left alone and sneaking off to the bathroom and giving birth in the water quietly without any interference--don’t like my chances!)

How much negotiating power do women really have in this circumstance? My view is that ultimately it’s my body, my baby, and my birth but I don’t want to make it hard for us all by being hard line at a time when I need to go inside and give birth (I can see that back-firing on me).  It’s just hard to work out what the important stuff is-it all seems so important!

Amy