Thanks leanne for posting this study.

Updated: 6:33 p.m. ET March 7, 2006

First-time pregnant women who give birth in a kneeling position experience

less pain than those who deliver in a seated position, researchers in Sweden

report..

Over the last 20 yrs or more of attending homebirths, I have observed that in undirected labour and births, women nearly always choose the kneeling postion to both labour and birth in.  I have rarely seen a woman sit or lie down to birth and very few instinctively choose squatting.  I guess what the women have been telling me is what the research found…it hurts less and gives more flexibility of movement. MM