A bright lovely good morning to you all,

In all of my groups, after fully explaining informed choice, I explain that
there are three options for the women when choosing the way she would like
to birth her placenta:

1. medically managed with an injection given into the thigh which will
induce an artificially strong contraction to hasten the expulsion of the
placenta and reduce excessive blood loss and this would be very appropriate
for someone who is high risk for example; a smoker, a woman who drank
alcohol very regularly throughout the later part of pregnancy, an anemic
woman, those who have already had medical intervention such as an epidural,
induction, etc.
2. to decline the injection
3. to take the wait and see approach... explaining to the midwife at the
time (and write in the birth plan so partner understands... "I would prefer
to avoid the injection as a routine injection, preferring instead to hold my
baby at my breast, to naturally stimulate oxytocin to expel my placenta, but
am prepared to receive the injection if it is medically necessary for a big
bleed"

I also explain the normal blood loss is 300 to 500 mls of blood and an
excessive blood loss would be 600mls+ which would require an injection.
There are three injections which are available for a pph or big bleed and
they are Syntocinon, syntometrine and ergometrine, each one increasing in
intensity and side effects such as nausea.
I then simply explain that most women describe a normal physiological third
stage as mild period pain, however usually this pain will increase with each
subsequent baby and/or with medical intervention.

As for after pains over the next 24-48 hours I am always careful to point
out that this is "normal" and women are less likely to be overly concerned
about it when they are very familiar with the very positive fact that it is
the uterus returning back down to it's normal size... and that this is a
very good thing and it is what a woman wants.
It seems to me that with good strong positive reinforcement women recognise
the benefits of normality - and keeping birth as normal as possible.
I feel completely comfortable in emphasizing "normality as the best, safest,
and worth striving towards" compared to routine or encouraged by friends
(epidural), medical intervention.

Warm hug to all,
Julie

Julie Clarke
Independent Childbirth and Parenting Educator
HypnoBirthing (R) Practitioner
ACE Grad Dip Supervisor
NACE Advanced Educator and Trainer
NACE National Journal Editor