Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 10:18 AM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] any benefit to teaching women self examination?

I checked my own dialation with my fourth baby (waterbirth at home), it was short labour anyway, but I just wanted to know where bubs was at. I was sitting on my toilet, just leaned back and as clear as day was a ring/circle of about 5 cm. I was impressed with how obvious it was, amazing.
About an hour later I was greeting my baby.

With my third baby (waterbirth at home) I also checked for progress and was surprised to find a head about 3cm in, very inspiring to know that a hard, fast labour was in fact a quick one too, only 3 hours in total.

I guess its up to the individual, nothing wrong with offering the idea to women and then those who are interested can seek more info on what to expect. Some women don't even want to know they have a vagina, others embrace it.

cheers
Megan.