Imagine if they reversed the financial incentive arrangements.....
----- Original Message ----- From: "Julie Clarke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 9:16 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] reducing c.section rates?

Hi Nicole
If I remember correctly the Australian Government also did that a few years ago; took the financial incentive away from doctors, by equalizing Medicare
payments for vaginal and c.section births, however the lobby group to
represent doctors to the government threatened walk outs to such an extent
that the Medicare payment was increased again for c.sections.
A Professor of Obstetrics told me once he felt confident the best way to
reduce the unnecessarily high c.section rate was to introduce a peer review
system where each obstetrician would explain the reason to his peers for
each of his/her c.sections performed.
Warm hug
Julie Clarke