julie there are many great places to work in adelaide both private and public it depends where you live which may motivate you as where to apply. I thought that your grad position was 12 months as you have only been there about 6 now. why don't you get in touch with some of the girls that was in your original group at FUSA and talk to them where they work and they may help you to decide where you would like to apply to for more permanent. I know that some hospitals are taking people on a casual basis then offer full time to the individual.anyhow good luck with your carer choices.
regards  Sharon
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 12:47 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] working in a private hospital ?

Hi Wonderful wise midwives,

An interesting discussion, thank you for your replies on and off the list!

I'm trying to decide what to do after my graduate position ends this month. One option is to stay on as a casual where I work but realistically I need more income security that casual offers.  Unfortunately there are no contracts positions available because it is a rural hospital that has limited opportunities at this stage for non nurse midwives. This aside, Its crunch time and although I'm happy and comfortable where I am I may need to look further field. Any suggestions at this stage would be welcome. I live in Adelaide. Shamless advertising of great places to work would be welcome :)

From what I'm hearing NO midwife would want to work in a private hospital but clearly, many do. Who are these mythical creatures and what motivates them? Apparently not money or job satisfaction!  I think that it is clear to me now that its not a direction I should pursue.

Thank you all again for the sound and very enlightening advice, I'm sure there is more to this story :) Cheers, Julie

Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 5:31 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] working in a private hospital ?

Dear wise Midwives,
                      I'm wanting to get an idea on what the disadvantages and benefits are to working in a private hospital . I must admit, as a direct entry midwife, I probably have a less than positive view of the private system having been told by lecturers that doing clinical placement there would be a waste of time. ( You become very "birth centric"' when you have to catch 40 babies to register). I think I'm asking for a balanced view here if one exists.
Julie, longtime daily lurker :)