To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 11:45 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] safetsleep

Hi Miriam,
I have done the tiki tour - impressed and would definitely like to mention safetsleep as an option in my book. I do appreciate all the work you are doing and can see some great uses for safetsleep but also have some questions:

1) I would be really concerned that some parents would use Safetsleep as a 'restraint'. But I guess if that were the case, the same thinking would mean that they would not have grasped whatever gentle/ respectful info I had written in the first place so were still coming from a 'convenient baby' / baby as object to be trained mentality. ie -I personally would hate to see such a product used to prevent a toddler from getting of of bed- I have read in at least one book and heard from a MB unit where the treatment for toddlers who dont stay in bed is to remove the lightbulb and lock the door - although I highly doubt you would approve of this either.

2) I am pleased to see that the babies in the letters on your site who had plagiocephaly also received physio -I have concerns that things like helmets on bubs only 'cosmetically' correct the symtoms (ie flat head) not the causes ie the underlying reasons for torticolus/ positional turns ( retained reflexes ? neurology ? tight muscles). I know of several parents here who have had feeding difficulties with such bubs ( ie uncomfortable feeding from one side/ refusal on one side) who have been treated either by a cranial osteopath or a paediatric chiro and when this has been corrected, then these bubs are content to change sides etc (ie the "problem" is fixed not just the symptom - ie flat head).

My own youngest child is regularly treated by a chiro ( initially because of dyslexia which improved remarkably). At the first visit it was found that he still had some early reflexes present and the chiro commented - "he would have had difficulty breastfeeding?" My response was that as he was my 5th child he wouldnt have had any difficulties - whether this meant holding him upside down if necessary" of course i didnt do any such thing but certainly would have compensated for any difficulty by altering feeding positions rather than seeking a cause because at the time i wasnt aware that 'the cause' ie a neurological problem/ retained reflexes could be involved.

Incidentally, he didnt/ doesn't have a flat head - he coslept so would have been side sleeping / changing sides perfectly safely and naturally, anyway. (perhaps reinforcing my point that while symptoms can be corrected, this doesnt necessarily mean the child is 'fixed')

However, I do have to acknowledge that this isnt every parent's choice and also that sadly, infant sleep is fraught with fear -Im amazed by comments to the mother in the testimonial (on your site) by her plunket nurse re the danger of side sleeping - poor mums.

Are you in Australia or Auckland?
I will send the handouts.
Pinky

----- Original Message ----- From: "Safetsleep" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>