Hi Kristin,

Most places I've worked consider a PPH to be a blood loss greater than 500-600ml and treatment would be implemented.  It's hard to define an average normal blood loss, as the majority of women have oxytocics for third stage.  The WHO states that up to 1000ml may be physiological (in healthy, well women).

From my experience the average blood loss in actively managed thirds stages is about 300ml..... keeping in mind that this is subjective and alot of the research says we often underestimate blood loss.  It's interesting that you can see some women (with normal Hb prior to birth) become symptomatic with an estimated blood loss of 300-400ml, while others with greater losses are asymptomatic.  Where I've been working a lady had an EBL of 1200 mls but was totally asymptomatic.  Her Hb dropped from 115 to 78.

Cheers
Michelle

Kristin Beckedahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm wondering whats the average blood loss volume after 3rd stage...? what are the upper & lower ends ? and what amount would require treatment..? Thanks!
-- This mailing list is sponsored by ACE Graphics. Visit to subscribe or unsubscribe.