Steph Arthur wrote:

Were this bubs in the SCN?? If so being of a lower birth weight with BSL that are not great, formula comp-ing would not be a bad idea..

With all due respect - but not as good an idea as being offered the breast, surely?

Esp considering these bubs are most likely going to drop some weight post birth. That could mean twin 2 could reaslistically drop to below 2kg. Also, I am under the impression that due to the increased risk of these bubs' sugars dropping further (being LBW and premature) then requiring IVT, 4/24 BSL etc one or two comp feeds to allow mum to get her head around breastfeeding two bubs and recovering from the labour etc sounds reasonable.

Yes but does it sound reasonable to the mother? Surely whether it 'sounds reasonable' to any of us is a moot point - nothing in the original story tells me that this woman had any reason *not* to make 'reasonable' decisions of her own about her babies - just another sane mother committed to the wellbeing of her offspring. Or was there a reference to psych illness or drug use that I missed?
What she needs to 'get her head around' any experience is surely up to her?

I do understand both sides- one being the desire of the mother to BF versus the well-being of her babies. Just because these bubs were offered a comp feed does not mean she cannot BF..

Um.
At the risk of jumping down a throat here (sorry, nothing personal in this!), this makes it sound like this woman's desire to breastfeed her babies is somehow putting them 'at risk' - like, how is there 2 sides to this, with on 1 side this woman who doesnt sound like she wants anything more than healthy breastfed babies, & on the other side the 'well-being' of her babies???? How has the desire to breastfeed put this woman on the other side of the fence to the health of her babies???? Maybe there are 2 sides to this debate, but in my book the mother is on the same side as her babies! Which leaves the 'other side'.....?

--

Jennifairy Gillett RM

Midwife in Private Practice

Women’s Health Teaching Associate

ITShare volunteer – Santos Project Co-ordinator
ITShare SA Inc - http://itshare.org.au/
ITShare SA provides computer systems to individuals & groups, created from donated hardware and opensource software