i guess all you can do is educate each woman about how it is protocol to use CTG but tell her about the evidence that shows it to be of no benefit while increasing c/s and instrumental delivery rates and how it will reduce her mobility, positions possible, water usage, comfort etc etc and then ask for her decision on what type of monitoring she would like. then it is quite legitimate to record in the notes that they have refused consent for CTG.

Bowman Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Our Syntocinon procedure has been updated to include routine EFM. this has
apparently been routine in major hospitals for a long time and accepted by
midwives in these units as being the best practice.
I have unfortunately accepted this practice too - but feel saddened with the
risk for midwives losing valuable skills by relying on CTG's instead of
truly being With Woman". and assessing the labour with sonicaid and
palpation of contractions and of course observing the woman.
There is an increased risk of busy midwives assessing a woman's labour by
CTG alone - not having the time to truly know the whole picture a bit
scary!!.
In our unit where we have caseload midwifery we have the time to stay with
women in labour and be tuned into the progress of labour and the baby's
wellbeing. I really still do not see the need in these situations to have to
rely on CTG, I would rather any day to rely on a good midwivery care/skills.
If there is any concern about the FH sure then use EFM
Also woman will no longer have freedom of movement, and baths, but this will
no longer be the case with compulsory continuous EFM for all Syntocinon
Inductions. I can see Caesarians yet further on the increase at our
hospital.

Linda