-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Andrea Quanchi
Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2006 12:11 AM
To: ozmidwifery; Maternity Coalition
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Kath's story

I was 'with' a woman on thursday night when she birthed that left me
on a real high
Kath has been seeing me for her whole pregnancy and we had discussed
birthing at home many times but she had decided that she wanted to go
to the hospital to birth.
"perhaps if it was my second baby I might have it at home' she said.
Despite this I kept picturing her birthing at home and was puzzled
why because I don't try and change women's minds or convince them of
one way or the other but point out the advantages and disadvantages.

She let me know wednesday night that she had had a few niggles and on
thursday morning that she was leaking. I visited after lunch and then
left her to it. She rang at 7pm to say that the liquor was pink  but
that they were OK for now, At 9pm they rang and asked me to come.
I arrived at 9:15 pm to find her leaning over her bed having strong
contractions but she was able to chat to me easily between them. She
did tell me they were pretty strong but she felt she had ages to go
yet! We chatted, checked her BP FHR etc and I watched her to try and
assess where she was up to.

She went to the loo at 9:45 and as I listened to her she made a noise
that got my attention. I asked her about it but she denied any urge
to push and then told me she just needed to open her
bowels!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I asked her to have a feel in her vagina and
she said she could feel something hard!!!!!!!!!  because she had been
so adament  that she wanted to birth at the hospital  I donned a
glove and had a quick feel.   I said well there's two choices we can
have the baby here or you can have it in the car because there's no
way your making it to the hospital. She looked at me with a grin and
said well I'd rather stay here than do that. So we did and ten
minutes and three pushes later James arrived much to his parents
amazement and his midwives amusement.

The whole thing was great, she sat up in bed an hour later and said
well I'd do that again as she put her baby to the breast without any
fuss.
Three days later they are all loving every minute of their whole
experience and I feel truely blessed to have been part of it.

Andrea Q