We have recently been directed to use the ferretin level as a
measure to suppliment or not as it is more reliable that the Hb.
The OB argues that a woman may have adequate iron stores but
still show a low Hb in the blood but she does not need to take
extra iron.  If this woman's Hb does not come up despite
suppliments then she may have good stores anyway.
I have seen many anaemic women successfully breastfeed and
recover very well without all that crap she has been threatened
with.
cheers
Judy