Hi Astra
Thanks for the further details
In this case I would suggest (not having been in the room at the time) that there was obviously unwarranted interference and the midwife would seem to have compounded the problem of OP instead of helping. If the woman was a primip, 'pushing back the lip" rarely works well. I have sometimes done this with multips who have a stretchy cervix, if they are getting tired and wanting to 'get on with it' and have felt the baby descend and rotate quite magically, but to do both procedures under the circumstances you describe sounds quite mad - what was she trying to prove?? If the woman was making good progress as you describe the best thing would have been to leave the membranes intact - this allows better rotation of the head in any case - and WAIT. Pushing 'cause you are now 10 cms' is very old and not good practice (as I said before) and I have often seen where someone has apparently pushed a lip back only to find it had returned after the poor woman has pushed valiantly against her own instincts (being directed to do so) and yes, they do get exhausted! Waiting for physiological urges to push gently gently will accomplish far better results as the baby will be being rotated slowly as he is descending. A stubborn lip of cervix - as sometimes happens with OP's - is best dealt with by encouraging the woman to breathe through, perhaps in left lateral or hands/knees position until the head reaches the pelvic floor and she will naturally push strongly once the lip has gone. Funnily enough this was similar to what happened to me with my 2nd bub (1st VBAC) My midwife colleague was so keen to deliver my baby having been with me all night, that she held the lip up 'got me pushing' and determined to stay on duty until I had birthed! I remember wishing she would get the hell away and go home, but like a good girl I tried to do what she wanted - second midwife was trying to persuade her to let me be but she was very determined! I don't think she tried to rotate the bub (who was by then OT) but had her fingers in my poor peri the whole time! ( something I have NEVER done since!!) I pushed for 1 1/2 hours with the doctors clanging the forceps outside the door (great VBAC practice huh!!) He eventually emerged after a LARGE epis and I was so exhausted that I couldn't even register the fact that it was over - snored loudly while being sutured. I still wish she had gone home and left me to the oncoming shift, I know I would have birthed much better if he had been left to descend and finish rotating in his (and my) own good time. Thanks for sharing your experience - learn from everyone but decide for yourself :-)
Sue

To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 8:11 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Manual rotation

Quoting Susan Cudlipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Did this incident cause some adverse outcomes?

Regards, Sue

Thanks for everyone's reply's.. Yes, this particular time, the outcome was
forceps and a third degree tear which obviously not a direct result of the
manouvre, but from the maternal exhaustion which ensued. In this case I think, it wasn't just the procedure, but the reasons for, and manner in which it was
done. The midwife suggested it to the woman as a means of speeding up her
labour (even though she was nine cm and had only been in the hospital for two hours!!), and had already performed an ARM for the same reason. She suggested that she could push the cervix back that last cm and rotate the baby, to save
the baby doing so, and thereby reducing the overall time of the labour!! I
couldn't believe what I was hearing! The woman agreed (???!!!) and this went
ahead, with the woman instructed to push afterwards as she was apparantly now 10 cms. When no head appeared in due time, the woman was checked again and it
was discovered that the cervix had gone back to 9cm.(suprise suprise) This
scenario was repeated several times, with the woman encouraged to actively push
in between. She eventually was so exhausted that the same midwife determined
that forceps would be required... etc etc.Why not leave well enough alone in
the first place? Anyway, the question I really wanted answered was that of
safety. Obviously this was not a good illustration of appropriate of necessary use of this kind of technique, but my dilemma is that I have been told on the one hand that this kind of thing is dangerous and unnecessary, and then I read
about it in Mayes, and several of you have replied that it is something you
would do on occasion. I guess this is something I need to look into further.
Thanks for all your help, regards, Astra.