To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 6:11 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Cord Blood Donation

My experience with mothers doing this was not of early cord clamping but of physiological 3rd stage. We would have to wait for the lab person to come so the cord was clamped and cut when they got there and had stopped pulsating. The blood obviously does not flow (for the collection) as quick but unless a woman wanted a lotus birth, for retrieving cord blood cells it is the best of both worlds. Obviously little can be done if the placenta simply births. The aim is to get the blood from the placenta not the baby. Once the baby gets what it needs and the cord stops beating then to my mind it is like donating breast milk; beautiful, rich; life giving and invaluable to the recipient. The concept of the blood belonging to the baby it interests me. i agree absolutely in the case of cord clamping before the cord has stopped pulsating. But even if we bury the placenta we are returning it to the earth, if we use placenta/woman/baby blood and use it on a person as we all die then eventually it will still be returned to the earth.
Belinda

Stephen & Felicity wrote:
I wouldn't contribute my baby's cord blood because that blood belongs to my baby, and that's where it's going, every last drop until it stops by itself and the placenta comes away naturally. Cord blood donation requires early cord clamping which for reasons I probably don't have to explain to those on this list is not something I would subject my child to. To my knowledge, cord blood is the best locale of stem cells, but it's not the ONLY one; there are other methods of obtaining them. So I can't see any good reason to prematurely amputate my child from their life source at birth (carrying all the risks to their health and wellbeing that come with this practice) and give their cord blood to someone else for their possible health and wellbeing; it doesn't seem logical to me as a Mother.

----- Original Message ----- From: "brendamanning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>