Think about It

When we consider the debate about elective cesarean surgery, it seems apparent that because biomedicine holds such a prominent position in our culture, it is possible for procedures to be perpetrated and performed routinely regardless of whether there is any causal relationship between the technology and improved health outcomes.

Consequently, because the debate about elective cesarean surgery is framed as a matter of "choice," the public perceives that cesarean surgery is a normal occurrence and assumes that the broader questions of efficacy and safety have already been considered, because biomedicine tells the truth in the public interest.

The result may very well be, as Henci Goer suggests, that by normalizing cesarean surgery and by attempting to convince the public that women prefer cesareans over vaginal birth, those who have interests in the social, political and economic power structures that support and underlie the medical system might just "succeed in making the imaginary groundswell a reality" (Goer 2001).

    Lisa Weeks, excerpted from "Problematizing Choice in the Elective Cesarean Debate," Midwifery Today Issue 73

    Reference:

  • Goer, Henci. 2001. The Case against Elective Cesarean Sections. J Perinat Neonatal Nurs 15(3): 23–38.