Introducing myself and replying at the same time. My name is Shelly I am a midwife in England and the mother of two boys. We are thinking of a move to Aus and so joined this list as it came recomended. I am on a few lists in the UK. Sadly for the medics much of what midwives do is art and not science. We often do not have scientific evidence to back what we do (or more to the point don't do). The good thing is neither do they so turn the tables and ask them to provide the evidence for what they are suggesting. Much routine and ritual care is just that and not based on any sound evidence. A couple of excellent UK authors to check out are Soo Downe and Sara Wickham. They write on normality as a rule. In practce I do very few VE's and often have to discuss this with colleagues and at supervision. If you watch women who are labouring (without an epidural) they move in certain ways they say certain things and there are external physical signs of progress. In the notes I write these in and explain why at this point is will or will not be following the 'guidelines'. In the UK they are generally guidelines and not policies.
Shelly

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sally @ home" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Vaginal examinations

Just to add to this...
There was an extremely heated discussion at a meeting with docs and midwives where I work about how doing a VE is the only way to ascertain progress in the normal labour of uncompromised healthy women. The midwives now have to come up with evidence showing that doing a VE within 1- 4 hours of admission to hospital (then 4-6 hourly thereafter) is not necessary as we are able to assess progress in different ways (all of which have been poo-pooed by the medicos)...so...am needing the help of all you wonderfully wise women out there.

Thanks in advance.

Sally
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sally @ home" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>