Iremember something like this happening 20 yrs ago when I had my first son. There were warnings then too. The other issue is thet the extra matress changes the height of the sides which can create a falling risk too. I always just used a sheepskin instead (regularly tumbledryed to de-dust and knock off the dust mites)
Cheers,
Di
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrea Quanchi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "ozmidwifery" <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 9:27 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] porta cots

Did everyone see 9am this morning there was a story about porta cots. A baby died when it became trapped down the side of an additional mattress that the parents had put into the porta cot because they felt that the one that came with the cot was too hard. The coroner has asked that a warning be spread to all parents that no additional mattress be put into porta cots as it makes it potentially dangerous. The mattress provided is firm for a reason as it prevents the baby from getting trapped down the side of the mattress between the soft sides of the cot and the mattress.

Please pass this on to all you friends and remove any foam matress that you have added to your cots

Andrea Quanchi