I too find the whole ketone thing confusing.  When people are on the Atkins diet (high protein, low carbohydrate) they test their urine for ketones which indicates they are breaking down fat.  So despite being well hydrated they may have quite alot of ketones in their urine.  So when a woman is in labour, is it more likely to be the hard work she is doing rather than dehydration?

Cheers
Michelle

Mary Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I think that there is no doubt about the fact that extra fluids reduces ketonuria, the debate is : Is ketonuria harmful or beneficial or just neutral?  It may be that what is pathological in illness may be a product of normal metabolism in labour.  From what I have read, Ketoacidosis is the harmful state, not ketonuria and ketonuria is not necessarily a symptom of ketoacisosis.  More confused?  MM

On Yahoo!7
PS Trixi: Check back weekly for Trixi's latest update