There's a few reasons it doesn't grab me. On some info about the chair it says she designed it so MWs would be more comfortable and not have to sit on toilet floors while women laboured on the loo. In hospitals birthing in the toilet is a really good idea because it can keep surgeons away. It also gives a woman more privacy while this chair seems to me to look like something throne-like that draws attention to a birthing woman in the wrong way. No woman could be left to labour unobtrusively sitting on this huge thing. I would prefer that instead of adding more products to birth that we looked at using what we have and losing a lot of normally happens. SImply turning off the lights, putting a beanbag on the floor or supporting a woman on the toilet are pretty cheap and allow women to be more in control and focussed on the business at hand. Using support people as organic furniture is free and so much better. It didn't get a vote of confidence from Joyous Birth women either.
Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2006 8:30 PM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] New Inventors birth seat

It was great to hear the 'inside' story re the birth seat, ie from midwives that have attended women using them.

Perhaps this kind of feedback could get to the midwife who decided it; maybe they can alter it somehow to have the back resting on hydraulics (!) so the woman can move around a little - or is that just a little too ambitious - ? LOL

Kristin