-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Tania Smallwood
Sent: 10 October 2006 16:22
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Fluids in labour

I transferred a woman in from home and I think that's the woman you're
talking about Suzi, (small world) and yes, we didn't think anything was out
of the ordinary with her fluid intake, but her baby was very flat with a low
sodium level...I think they decided it was some kind of strange and self
limiting endocrine disorder, but I couldn't be 100% sure of what it was...

I think we need to keep in mind what athletes would be drinking to replace
fluids during a 24 hour period, and remember that while women are labouring
and also resting, they are sometimes sweating and labouring in water, and so
we should surely be encouraging them to drink to quell their thirst.  Surely
we shouldn't be trying to limit the amount women drink, given that most
women find it hard to tolerate anything much in established labour...I don't
recall this woman drinking to excess, and I've certainly been at much longer
labours where a flat baby hasn't been the outcome.

Tania