I saw that article it looked good. Congratulations to the woman but she did nt mention that home birth was not for everyone as there are some valild medical reasons why you cant birth at home.

From: owner-ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au [mailto:owner-ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au] On Behalf Of Tania Smallwood
Sent: Sunday, 22 October 2006 5:15 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Column in today's Advertiser

Hi everyone,

I’ve just received a very excited email from one of our great consumers here in Adelaide to tell me that she has had an article about homebirth printed in today’s Sunday Mail, entitled “No place like home for giving birth”.  It’s on page 44.  I can’t access it electronically but she has it saved and when she sends it I’ll send it onto the list.  I’ve attached my letter to the Ed, hope there is a flood of letters that are controversial enough to be printed next week!

Tania

I am writing in support of the fantastic and heartfelt column written by Louise Mathwin - "No place like home for giving birth".  I too have experienced the professional care of a midwife - the expert in normal pregnancy and birth care, for both of my pregnancies, and as a trained midwife myself, have to say that it's the best money I've ever spent.

 Homebirth and exclusive midwifery care is not for every woman, but research tells us that women of all levels of risk have better outcomes when they are cared for by a known midwife, in conjunction with, where appropriate, medical and/or obstetric staff.     Our soaring caesarean section rate, in some hospitals in excess of 50%, is not solely as a result of women choosing.  The birth support and information groups in Adelaide (such as Birth Matters, CARES, and the Homebirth Network) are testament to that fact, with every week women contacting them to debrief about unsatisfactory and distressing birth experiences.  The caesarean section rate of Independent midwives ranges around 6-10%, and even in low risk hosptial settings, those figures are tripled. What most people don't realise about choosing continuity of midwifery care and homebirth, is that all the other options are still on offer, and may be taken up if needed or wanted.  Staying at home in labour, and eventually for the birth, is an added option that twice as many women are taking up today than they were three years ago.  With the Department of Health's Homebirth policy about to be released, it is hoped that women of low risk will also be able to choose this option whilst accessing care through a midwifery model, such as that at the W & Ch and Flinders medical centre.  What a great day for women it will be when they are truly given choice of maternity care provider and place of birth, and not dictated to by their health insurance company or by lack of financial means.