Hi,

I've been approached by a friend about contraception options. She's previously been on the combined pill (Brenda I think), but had serious side effects the main one being periods of blindness. She's been told that these episodes would be likely to continue to occur if she took the pill and that they would increase in duration (her first episode was a few seconds, but some were up to 15 minutes long).

I was wondering if any of you have heard of this happening or know anything about it. Is it the oestrogen, the progesterone, or both that cause it?

We've discussed a few options and she's quite interested in IUDs. She has reasonably long and heavy periods so has some concerns about a copper IUD, but is also concerned that perhaps the Mirena might make the blindness come back.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I don't really know anything about blindness associated with the pill, so would be very interested to find out both so I can pass the information on to my friend, but also for my own knowledge.

Thanks.

Advertisement: Fresh jobs daily. Stop waiting for the newspaper. Search now! www.seek.com.au http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=757263760&_r=Hotmail_EndText_Nov06&_m=EXT