To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2006 12:30 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Cord clamping and waterbirth

Lieve said:

"Cordclamping is an intervention and has first to prove that it is better than not clamping instead of the other way of thinking".

I agree 100% with you Lieve.

It's interesting isn't it, how interfering is the 'norm' with anything to do with birth - at least in western societies. I know that PPH is a real and frightening issue in many third world countries, but what PPH is most associated with is poverty and poor nutrition and non existent family planning options. These women are exhausted. As a society/global community it is important to find ways to address these issues for all women everywhere so they are well fed, relaxed and valued, having babies that are wanted so they can birth well and be healthy women and mothers for themselves and their families.

For women in western countries, many have no idea that they even have a placenta to give birth to, and so think that birth is over when the baby is born, thus effectively switching off the hormonal flow for birth. That switching off the process, coupled with our usual ritualised meddling in that precious time of face to face, skin to skin, heart to heart intimacy of mother/baby, interferes with endogenous oxytocin release and baby perfusion whilst distracting the falling in love process. grrrr

It is perhaps safer to do the active management of third stage thing in situations when women are kept ignorant about the process because it requires knowledge and conscious awareness at best and a woman to be focused on her baby, rather than the kind of thinking that turns the process off.

It's interesting that when women understand the physiology of the third phase of the labouring process, they remain very conscious and birth their placentas very well, usually with minimal blood loss. The midwives at the Birthing Service have all moved from the fragmented medicalised efficient factory model of 'delivery' to a one to one, relationship based model of midwifery practice and over the past year since we started, have all 'fallen in love' (poetic licence!) with undisturbed 'normal' physiology and are very respectful of women's processes. The midwives take great care in ensuring women understand and are fully informed of their natural physiology long before the women are in labour. Many women are choosing to stay in our beautiful big baths to give birth, so birth through water is a common event in our service. The PPH rate is very low and the midwives are fascinated by the threads in women's lives which weave their experiences.

warmly, Carolyn