Hello Helen,

I've replied to the list to answer the question you asked about onsite medical
help.

We are a stand alone unit situated within Belmont Hospital. Our nearest medical
help is at John Hunter Hospital about 12 kms away and about half an hour by
ambulance.  The CMO's at Belmont do not have the training or experience to
manage problems with neonates or mothers with obstetric problems and so are not
involved in any of our processes. Our midwives are highly trained and
credentialled to be able to manage various potential neonatal and maternal
issues. In reality, this is no different to how the service was managed before
as doctors were not onsite for obstetrics after 4pm.  The differences are those
that really make a difference to outcomes! The differences are: that the women
are all healthy with singelton pregnancies, the women know their midwives and
the midwives know the women, they have great trusting relationships, their
labours are purely physiological, the only interventions are those of movement,
positioning, water, self talk etc so the chances of things going anything but
right are greatly reduced.  In the previous obstetric service, the midwives had
to manage all sorts of complexities and risk status in the women, including
medical interventions, so to my mind, the new format makes the maternity
service much safer than it was previously.

I personally can't figure out what is happening at Ryde and guess it is a
signal how vulnerable women's services are to competing and not always women
friendly power dynamics.  Something we all need to take full account of and
never let ourselves become complacent. The tide is turning and still rips
happen.

Hope this helps, warmly, Carolyn