It puzzles me too. Why choose an evidence based carer and then take them
somewhere they can't provide you with it?

Because if you know you have a higher than average change of NEEDING a hospital if might be nice to have someone who knows you, cares about you and will actually give you evidence based advice while you are there. Women in this situation need an ipm MORE not less if you ask me... Even my midwife confessed (after the magical homebirth) that she had expected me to end up in hospital with a medical extravaganza given my health issues. Without my midwife not only would there not have been the option of homebirth if I made it to term healthy, there probably would have been almost no chance of even a remotely natural birth in hospital, for a whole host of reasons I haven't time to explain right now. Planning a home birth should not be a requirement of hiring an IPM.