I have a question for you wise women - will give you some background
first.

Young woman with a concealed or unacknowledged pregnancy at 26 weeks
presented with acute abdominal pain to a remote area health clinic.  No
midwife was present and doctor had not practiced obstetrics for "years".

The woman did not appear pregnant at all.  They did a pregnancy test and
it was negative. They thought that renal colic may have been the cause.
No one could palpate contractions but eventually the doctor did a VE and
discovered "something there".

A very experienced nurse then "delivered" (and I use the word
advisedly), the baby which was in a breech position.  Traumatic for
everyone especially the woman, who was then transferred by plane to the
nearest hospital.  I will be attending a debriefing session on Friday
and would like to be able to at least explain the negative pregnancy
test.

 Was this due to the demise of the baby (perhaps up to a week
previously) or have the hormones altered so much that the test will not
react -

                       a. because of FDIU or

                       b. advanced pregnancy or

                       c. was there a technical problem with the test
itself

Your input would be much appreciated.

Keep up the discussions on why women don't choose or don't know to
choose more wisely when contemplating pregnancy because we do have a
responsibility as midwives for disseminating this knowledge.

Many thanks

Anne (in the NT)