Hi,

I have discovered that our website was playing up last weekend and earlier this week and was down intermittently. Apologies for this inconvenience - not much I could do about it but I did alert our webmaster once I discovered the issue.

The early bird registrations for Future Birth close in 10 days, so a quick reminder to get yourself organised, especially for the group discounts. They are a real bargain!

http://www.birthinternational.com/event/futbirth2007/index.html

I heard from Polly Ferguson that we can reproduce the fabulous tool (for those attending) that is used in Wales (and being developed for use in Scotland and England) that eliminates almost all the paperwork midwives need to produce during labour. This is one of the common complaints midwives make about caring for women during labour - the constant note taking and recording leaves little time for being "with women". In Wales they have been using this tool to cut down these onerous tasks and its use has also spurred a drop in the caesarean rate because it is based on some more realistic assumptions about labour progress (such as 1 cm every 2 hours, not every one hour as is common in OZ). It is also especially useful for newly qualified and less experienced midwives who now have a way of keeping birth normal that doesn't require any justification/arguments/battles. Polly will explain (she is very charismatic and a lot of fun - much more than her photo would suggest!) just how this has put Wales ahead of the rest of the UK in terms of improving birth outcomes. She is a wonderful role model for midwives everywhere.... you won't want to miss this!

See you all in March.....

Andrea