Maybe I am alone in this but having coslept with our first and used a cot for #2 I found the opposite to be true - I get so much better quality sleep without the baby in bed with me that it is definitely worthwhile getting up even three times a night to feed her and then put her back in the cot. She is wonderfully secure and content and I really feel we have brought out the best in her sleep tendencies rather than the worst as we did with #1. Sleeping well is a life skill and to be honest I don't feel that we did #1 any favourss.

I am not suggesting that cosleeping be discrouraged, we would absolutely have done it again if the bassinets/cot plan hadn't worked. But I guess I just don't think that cosleeping is necessarily a miracle cure either. I think the best solution is assuring parents that cosleeping can be done safely, that they can't spoil a baby and that they should do what works for them whatever that is.