Mum gives birth in toilet
Jane Metlikovec
January 24, 2007 12:00am

A MOTHER says her baby daughter was born in a hospital toilet bowl and had
to be rescued after staff ignored her screams for help.

Kay, 24, was in the final stages of labour when she was rushed by ambulance
to Monash Medical Centre on Tuesday last week.

In a statement to the Herald Sun yesterday, the hospital said it regretted
"the birth did not go according to plan".
At the hospital, the Mt Waverley mother of two was told to wait in a
standard share room instead of being directed to a birthing suite, despite
having contractions fewer than two minutes apart.

"A midwife saw me when I came in and pressed on my stomach once. Nobody
checked if I was dilated. I didn't even get offered a Panadol," Kay said.
An hour after arriving, distressed and screaming in agony, she went to the
toilet, where she gave birth to a girl.

Her husband Michael, who had become frantic, had hit an emergency buzzer in
panic to try to get help, but he said none came in time so he kicked down
the locked door and ran in, pulling the infant from the toilet bowl.
Kay said she was terrified her daughter could have died, and described the
ordeal as horrific.

"I thought she could have been seriously hurt, or worse. If it wasn't for
Michael coming to my aid, I don't know what the result would have been," Kay
said.
"It was the most traumatic thing we have had to go through. I would have
thought it would have been one of the happiest times of our lives, but it
was terrible."

Kay said Michael pressed the emergency buzzer three times, but no one
responded until after a nearby caterer alerted medical staff.
"When someone finally came, Michael asked why it took so long and they told
him the buzzer didn't work," Kay said.
"I was completely shocked. It is an emergency buzzer. This was an
emergency."

But the director of nursing at Monash Medical Centre, Kym Forrest, said in a
statement to the Herald Sun: "The buzzers were checked and both were
working. The obstetrician and midwives were in fact alerted to the baby's
arrival by the buzzer being sounded from Kay's room."
Ms Forrest also denied the door had been kicked in. "It is a dual lock which
can be opened from both sides and this was the way access was achieved," she
said.

But Kay said the toilet cubicle, complete with broken door, "looked like a
murder scene".
"There was blood everywhere. I was screaming. It was just horrible," she
said.
The couple are seeking a formal apology, but Ms Forrest said they had not
lodged a formal complaint with the hospital.
"We regret that Kay did not have the birth experience our midwives strive to
provide to all the mums in their care," Ms Forrest said.
"We are as disappointed as Kay and Michael that the birth of their second
child did not go according to plan, but babies have a mind of their own
sometimes."

Opposition health spokeswoman Helen Shardey called for the Government to
investigate: "It is just lucky the baby was not seriously injured in this
fiasco."

A spokeswoman for Health Minister Bronwyn Pike said it was an operational
matter for the hospital to deal with.

Best Regards,

Kelly Zantey

Creator,  <http://www.bellybelly.com.au> BellyBelly.com.au