   _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Nikki Macfarlane
Sent: Wednesday, 24 January 2007 6:16 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Mum Gives Birth In Toilet - Monash Medical Centre

You know what, I have a different take on this. If the newspaper article has
reported accurately what the parents said (and I highly doubt they have, but
for the sake of argument lets give themt he benefit of the doubt!), there
are some serious failings of expectations here and little empathy going on
from the medical staff.

The mother was rushed to hospital by ambulance and arrived in the later
stages of labor - this in itself appeared to be distressing for her as it
appeared she was taken by surprise by the speed with which labor was
progressing.

So, now having arrived in advanced labor, she is not checked as she expects
to be and does not appear to have a midwife in the room with her. Now that
may be because she does not appear to be in strong labour, or that there is
no midwife available. But from the mother's perspective, it is not what she
expects. She feels out of control, in intense pain, and not receiving the
level of hospital support she is expecting. She could have called for help
and support or asked her husband to go and find a midwife. But her
expectations were not being met. And it is a pretty reasonable expectation
to have a midwife at the very least to reassure a mother who feels she is in
strong labor, and realistically to be checking or staying by her side if she
appears to be imminently birthing.

At the point at which the baby is born, both parents describe themselves as
frantic. This was not the experience they were hoping for. Yes, she did it
without pain medication or any intervention. Yes, this is what many women
aspire to. Yes, this is better for baby and mother healthwise in most
circumstances. However, the mother felt unsupported, and the father felt
panicky. And the hospital's response? "We are as disappointed as Kay and
Michael that the birth of their second child did not go according to plan,
but babies have a mind of their own sometimes."  Really? What a leap! To
make the assumption that the midwives feel the same degree of disappointment
as the parents. Yes, babies do sometimes come quicker than anticipated. What
would have been nice is for this mum and dad to have been heard and had
their sense of distress and lack of support acknowledged. Whether the
midwives felt justified in their actions or not, the parents still felt the
way they did. The mum was in the hospital for at least an hour and appeared
to have no midwifery support during that time. I get that there may have
been none available. But to dismiss the whole affair with a patronising
comment about how the midwives are just as upset as the parents is hardly
effective communication and certainly not displaying good listening skills
towards the parents.

Now of course, the whole newspaper article may be complete tosh and the
parents/midwives may not have said anything that was attributed to them in
the quotes.

Always a shame that such stories are not seen as an opportunity to talk
about how incredible our bodies are or how tragic it is that the health
system the world over is failing women because of shortages of experienced
midwives, or a multitude of other approaches that would be more beneficial
towards women and babies.

Nikki Macfarlane

Childbirth International

8:40 PM