From: ozmoss@ozmoss.com [mailto:ozm...@ozmoss.com] On Behalf Of Ishai Sagi
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:02 PM
To: ozmoss@ozmoss.com
Subject: RE: Feb 2009 CTP of Visual Studio 2008 extensions for Windows
SharePoint Services 3.0 has been released!

Bill,
Setting aside the VseWSS discussion – which you know I am with you on those
points and others, and I do not use that product, and I recommend against it to
my clients (that was a long “set aside” sentence) – I do not agree about
windows XP as what you should be working on.

I don’t think a development environment described in the first point you made
is as hard to achieve as you make it to be.

What organisations should do (and do) is get a virtualised environment with a
physical SQL cluster and domain controller for the development environment.
Each developer gets a virtualised server to develop on with MOSS or WSS
installed (depending on licences). Sysprep is not that easy in this scenario –
because you still need to rename the machine, and create new databases in SQL.
Performance should be good for development (if the VM machine is big enough).

However, if you want to avoid scripting this (and we know that can be done), an
easy way to solve this is to install MOSS – but then disconnect it from the
farm before making the image. Then, when a new machine gets provisioned, the
developer only has to run the configuration mechanism to connect it to the SQL
cluster and create the databases. You save a lot of time in installing – just
running a wizard after the provisioning has taken place. You can even maintain
your image with service packs – install them on the image, and do not connect
it to any farm...

Ishai Sagi
Solutions Architect
Information Services