Uh, doesn’t the database contain the server name, SID, etc of the actual DB
serve?

Simply making a the server name in AD/DNS to point to the new one wont
really make it work correctly and has the potential to cause some issues?

From: ozmoss@ozmoss.com [mailto:ozm...@ozmoss.com] On Behalf Of Jon Bullen
Sent: Wednesday, 29 April 2009 9:52 AM
To: ozmoss@ozmoss.com
Subject: RE: Moving databases to a new SQL server [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

May I recommend that you make a alias in AD for the server and use that
instead. That way and future DR or server moves involve updating the alias
and not having to rename the server in SharePoint.

Regards

Jon Bullen  |  Senior Consultant  |  Microsoft Services

E-Mail Signature Orange Energy.gif

È +61 4 1048 0197     Canberra, Australia | www.microsoft.com/services

MSN IM:   <mailto:jon_bul...@hotmail.com> jon_bul...@hotmail.com

This email is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain
information that is confidential or subject to legal professional privilege.
If you receive this email in error please immediately notify the sender and
delete the email. Please consider the environmental impact before printing
this email.