In your Shared Services Provider under the User Profiles and My Sites section
click the My Site settings link. The page displays a Language Options
 setting:
Language Options Select whether users are allowed to choose the language of
their personal site.  The list of languages offered to users will correspond
with the installed language packs on the hosting server.

By default I think this setting is not enabled.

Sezai.