I actually answered my own question on this after playing around a bit -
virtual directories in IIS that redirect to specific URLs. I've created a
virtual directory for each form, and so far it seems to work perfectly.

From: ozmoss-boun...@ozmoss.com [mailto:ozmoss-boun...@ozmoss.com] On Behalf Of
Nigel Hertz
Sent: Monday, 18 April 2011 8:47 AM
To: ozMOSS
Subject: SharePoint, InfoPath, links and 256 charact limits

Hi guys

I'm sure most of you know that most of the MS Office product suite, including
SharePoint, likes to limit URLs to 256 characters. A good example is 'ctrl-k'
in an office document, past a long URL in, and have it chopped off at the 256th
character. There are workarounds to get longer URLs pasted in (at least in
Outlook, I haven't tried others)

My issue is that if I want to link directly into an InfoPath form, I can't.
(Instead of going to the library and clicking 'New' - don't ask, but apparently
the extra click is too much effort) What we've had to do is try create HTML
pages that then redirect to the form using meta-refresh or some similar
strategy. The problem with that is that opening from within search doesn't
always work.

Has anyone encountered this and found some alternative workaround?

Nigel

The direct URL is something like this.
http://servername/OnlineForms/_layouts/FormServer.aspx?XsnLocation=http://servername/OnlineForms/FormServerTemplates/Training%20Request%20Form.xsn&SaveLocation=http%3A%2F%2Fservername%2FOnlineForms%2FTraining%20Request%20Form&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fservername%2FOnlineForms%2FTraining%2520Request%2520Form%2FForms%2FDefault%2520View%2Easpx&DefaultItemOpen=1

Stockland Notice: If this communication has been sent to you by mistake, please
delete and notify us.  If it has been sent to you by mistake, legal privilege
is not waived or lost and you are not entitled to use it in any way. Stockland
and its subsidiaries reserve the right to monitor e-mail communication through
its networks.