I think it might be worth taking a step back and looking at the reasons why
you'd want to do this type of thing.
I hear bells going off in my head telling me that this isn't a good idea.

I can understand that you want your styles and scripts to live with your web
part, but ignoring the fact that I know nothing of the background of why
you're trying to do this, I'd suggest this should live in a masterpage -
whether that's deployed with the feature which deploys the web parts, or
otherwise.  If you need it to be conditional, then I'd suggest that perhaps
it's a custom control which sits within the masterpage which manages that
logic.

Other people who are implementing branding or styling on that page, then
have the concern that by dropping on this web part, their styles may be
overridden (and it can cause havoc, and a lot of head scratching).  I'd be
definitely looking at the reasons why the styling needs to be part of the
web part (and the scripts), and see if you can abstract it to a higher level
in the application.

Cheers, Matt

 <http://www.hazaa.com.au/>

Matthew Cosier