Not to worry about this guys, found the fix, a little xsl magic made the
picture work. I am going to create a blog post detailing the fix as I'm sure
others will find the same issue..

From: uz_my_...@hotmail.com
To: ozmoss@ozmoss.com
Subject: Very strange SP Designer 2007 issue!
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 09:03:05 +0100

I have a simple SharePoint list, column called "headshot" which is a hyperlink.
This is filled with the URL of a photo on the Intranet.
This hyperlink appears fine as a picture in a view created and placed in a
sharepoint page.

So I have had to use designer to carry out some fancy work.

So I have created a data view web part and connect to the SP list in the data
sources. When I drag the headshot column into a data view web part using
Designer, the URL comes up with an extra comma which is ',' so when changing
the formatting of the URL to a picture, the image does not appear.

I have double checked the list and the URL is correct and does not have any
extra spaces.. happens to all list items..

I have managed to create a new forumla which strips out the extra , in the
headshot column, but this cannot be formatted as a pciture as HTML and XSL
cannot be mixed..

Has anyone come across this before? What's the fix?

Any advice will help!

Uzma