You will need to create an "explicit managed path" for your web application in
central admin.

From: ozmoss-boun...@ozmoss.com [mailto:ozmoss-boun...@ozmoss.com] On Behalf Of
Zahra Zamanikia
Sent: Wednesday, 30 October 2013 9:20 PM
To: ozMOSS
Subject: Web application URL

Hi Guys,

I have a quick question on the URL path of a web application.
I created a new web application and as a result I have the very first site
collection in the top level.
so saying : teamsuat.com.au
Now I want to start creating new site collection under this web application
with out the URL path of /Sites/ or any newspecific path.

instead of teamsuat.com.au/sites/hr I want to have teamsuat.com.au/hr

is it possible?

Thanks,
Zara