Folks, after finding the reference workaround last night to allow me to keep
DLLs out of the XAP, I stumbled across a new problem... On my development
machine my background loading of the DLLs is working nicely. When I deploy
the app to my server it fails, but it took me hours to find out why.

It turns out that the OpenReadCompleted handler is reporting an Exception,
which killed my logging code and the error was not being logged. In
desperation I put a throw inside the SL4 code and this finally caused an
error in the browser and I could click the icon and popup the details. The
details say NotFound (what a surprise!!), but at least it told me that a
file load failed.

I fire up Fiddler and I see the following:

So I'm getting a 404 on some DLL files, which I know are present. I tried
reading a ZIP of the DLL and it works okay. I presume therefore that there
is a configuration difference between my Win7 dev machine and the Win2003
server. I seem stuck in a Catch-22 ... It's not safe to allow IIS to serve
DLL files on my server and I presume IIS is stopping this, but all of the
samples I've seen do get DLL files from IIS. So how come it works on Win7
but not and Win2003, and what do I do? Surely I can't be the only person who
has hit this problem.

Maybe I can download ZIPs or XAP file containing the DLLs instead?!

Greg

<<image002.png>>