Folks, I think I have a small lesson in marketing for you, or it's a
commentary on human nature.

For over a year we used the Visifire 2.2.4 charting library for Silverlight.
Six months ago we had to move to ComponentOne because they provided gauges
and radar charts, at a cost of about $1500/year with support. Although the
C1 library seems to have more chart types and more properties (and hence
more complexity and documentation) than Visifire, it looks as dull as
dishwater. The Visifire charts have pleasant animations so that bars
"spring" elastically and pie charts "unwind" into view. Visifire also has
tooltips over the data points to show the values. C1 has none of this and
you have to do it all in code, and it's so obscure we had to get C1 support
to kindly give us some sample code to customise rendering.

As a result of this move from Visifire to C1, users and sales have
complained that the "springy" charts have gone away and it's all "dull". The
architect has said "the idiots don't care what the numbers are on the
charts, they just want to have eye-candy". I can understand this. So we have
to put in dual-support so that you can choose between Visifire and C1 (where
equivalents are available).

Visifire V2 didn't have radar charts and gauges, but they do now in V4,
possibly invalidating the purchase and migration to C1. What timing eh?!

I just noticed that Visifire V4 charts have the text Visifire Trial Edition
in the top right corner and the download page says it's a 30 day trial
edition. I can't tell if it actually expires after 30 days or if it's just a
legal warning. In V2 there was a property to change or hide the text and I
have the source code. V4 developer licence(s) cost from $400 to $2500 and
there is no free version any more.

Greg