Ah didn't see this other thread.

If you use the last modified time of the xap file then you will download the
new version and if its updated then you automatically get the new one, but
don't download it every time (which would happen if the url was different on
every page load.)
you only want the client to download it if the xap file has changed. put the
modified date/time in the url and forget about it. move on to more
interesting problems. :)