Not to hijack the thread, but Alchemy stuff looks as interesting:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/alchemy

The claim is that it enables compiling .swf files from C/C++ code
including "hundreds of millions of lines of existing open source
C and C++ client or server-side code". I wonder what networking
API bindings are allowed and/or if there are any restrictions.

Alex