On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:18:26PM +0100,
 Luigi De DonĂ  <lu...@diacronic.org> wrote
 a message of 240 lines which said:

> I need of some tips and tricks (other than RFC) to efficiently
> detect if a received UDP packet using a java datagram socket is a
> RTP packet or no ?

Read the RFC 3550) whose appendix A.1 is precisely dedicated to this
issue. Let's quote a small part:

   Only weak validity checks are possible on an RTP data packet from a
   source that has not been heard before:

   o  RTP version field must equal 2.

   o  The payload type must be known, and in particular it must not be
      equal to SR or RR.

   o  If the P bit is set, then the last octet of the packet must
      contain a valid octet count, in particular, less than the total
      packet length minus the header size.