On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 15:21 -0700, Russ Weeks wrote:
> Oscar, your point is well-taken re. the monotonic increase of the
> timestamp.  I guess the timestamp+random data key would have to be run
> through ie. MD5 to make it suitable for consistent hashing, which adds
> another layer of complexity to the collision analysis.

I would just run the timestamp through a block cipher in ECB mode.
That's still more complex than just a plain timestamp, but I suspect a
little less than just MD5.  You don't even need a very secure cipher for
this.  I'm not sure which ones have a 64 bit block size, but just pick
one of those that's not laughably bad and you should be fine.

Don't use a 128-bit block cipher and then chop out 64 bits.  Then you've
just created a situation that's statistically distinct from any that
have already been analyzed in this thread.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
A word is nothing more or less than the series of historical
connotations given to it. That's HOW we derive meaning, and to claim