On Monday 24 August 2009 13:28:59 Alessio Pace wrote:
> I was wondering if NAT boxes (of course with possible differences from
> vendor to vendor) employ a sort of "upper bound" for the number of active
> filtering rules

Most consumer devices will be limited by RAM. I remember a DSL router not
being able to open new connections about 30 seconds after a box with
W32.Blaster connected. It was however able to handle 4 people using skype and
quite a lot of file sharing clients with unreasonable settings
simultaneaously.

Another situation where i noticed limits was in a wireless mesh network where
many connections from many nodes are funneled through one internet gateway.
There used to be a policy of about 100 active connections per user or maybe
new connections within a period of 1 to 5 minutes ... my memory is fuzzy here
and it's not valid anymore because users hit that limit frequently but
temporarily. Think of what happens when you start a browser that is trying to
load 40 tabs at once.