I am confused. Could you perhaps restructure the phone example?

Let me state what I understood from your description. One app goes down.
How do we ensure that the other really knows for sure that it has gone
down? Is the question that simple, or am I missing something? If it is,
then how exactly does a peer_going_down (first mail) correspond to
app_hanging_up (second mail)? I am assuming a hang-up means the peer
going down totally, rather than only the application failing to respond.
Have you considered a session layer to keep track of each partnership
task?   If you are using something straight-forward like sockets, a
broken socket would indicate a hang up (assuming hang_up is equivalent
to a peer going down). If not, you will have to work with
timeouts/heartbeats.

Why do you want to record the hang-up in the state? Are you planning to
renew broken partnership tasks, and continue from where they ended
abruptly (once the drowned node resurfaces)? One thing you could
probably try is to use some time out mechanism to conclude that a node
is down, and update the hung state to the DHT. If the down node starts
signaling again, use a distributed roll-back operation to correct the
state.

I am not sure if that really answered your question.

~Ratul.